Monday, May 21, 2012

Finishing well

     What does it mean to finish well?  What defines success?  As a teacher, at the end of the school year I often kick myself about how the year went.  Was I good enough?  Did I listen carefully to the children and did I give them what they needed from me?  Did I successfully teach them fractions, decimals and percents?  I could drive myself crazy, really.  This was a tough year for me.  I received some health news early on and it took its toll for sure, both physically and mentally.  I have never been more tired then I have been  this year.  With that though there was still a job to do,  subjects to teach, goals to achieve.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  2 Timothy 4:7 
     As I reflect on the past school year...I certainly see where I could have improved.  I am not perfect and I see where I fell short. I also see where we succeeded.  There are 13 boys and girls that are ready for 6th grade who know in their hearts they are fearfully and wonderfully made. They know that God loves them and forgives them when they mess up. They know how to be a friend. They know what it means to be "THIRD". To put God, and others before themselves. That is good stuff, important stuff.  Yes they learned Arithmetic and History, but they also learned about discipline, self control and accountability.
      To finish well means to me... to have no regrets, to not look back and think of how your would do it different.
This year my students learned the most important thing, what it means to serve. They helped out a family who was directly affected by the tornado that hit Branson,  a girl that is one of their classmates, their friend.  It was lovely. (See that post here)  They served without once asking what was in it for them. That makes me proud. 
     So, what does it mean to finish well?  Well, to me it means that my students learned the most important thing....and that is to put others first, to be thoughtful and kind.  With that in mind, I would say that the year was a success. I believe that they got it.  They have servants hearts. I'd say we finished quite well!!
     Tonight I am linking up with Laura from over at Bits of Splendor...Come visit and share about your week !
bits of splendor monday

1 comment:

Bekah said...

I could feel your passion in this post so much that I have a lump in my throat after reading it. I just wanted to tell you how inspirational this post was for me. I am a preschool teacher and I find that I beat myself up every day over all the little things I could have done better. But when one of my two years old's come up to me and say "Ms. Becky, Jesus loves me and he loves you", then I know I have succeeded. So I totally can understand what you're saying here. Keep up the great work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...