Saturday, March 24, 2012

Roasted Garlic Recipe

I am so excited to bring you a recipe today.  This is comfort food at its finest.  Roasted garlic was introduced to me by my Aunt Bea.  I attended a little dinner party at her home years ago and this was on the menu.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does, my children love this.  The garlic takes on a whole new taste once roasted.  Garlic has many health benefits also but this is sheer goodness on bread.
You will need Garlic, how much will depend on how many you are feeding..I like everyone to have a least one bulb for themselves.
Olive oil
Thyme (for this recipe, I used ground Thyme)
A baguette, French or Italian
Tomatoes
Mozzarella Cheese
Aluminum Foil you don't have a garlic roaster. (It is made of Terracotta)

You do not need to pre-heat the oven,
First, you will cut the tops off the garlic bulbs to open them up.  You will peel the outer part so that it looks like this, I also use kitchen scissors to clean off tops so the olive oil will be absorbed.
drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Thyme on top.
I have a garlic roaster, but you don't have to use one. You can use aluminum foil, just double line a deep, oven safe dish or pan and cover with aluminum foil.
Put in oven and then set oven to 350 degrees.  If cooking in aluminum foil, I have noticed that you need to cook at a little higher temperature. I would set at 400 degrees.  You will cook the garlic covered for 1 hour.  Uncover and cook another 15 minutes to 1/2 hour until it is buttery soft. I usually take a butter knife and poke the garlic to see if it has become soft. 
While the garlic roasts, you will slice your cheese and tomato in to slices.
You will slice your baguette and I like to drizzle a little olive oil on top of the slices and put in oven just for a few moments to get it a little crunchy.
You spread the garlic on the bread and you can eat alone or top with tomato and cheese for a fresh flavor
It is so wonderfully yummy. Great for dinner with some pasta, or even at at a little dinner party as an appetizer. 
I hope you enjoy this this little slice of heaven.  If you like garlic, I promise, this will not disappoint.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...