Friday, December 7, 2012

The roller coaster

 
I have been thinking a lot lately about when Nathan and I
started on our parenting journey.
I don't think anyone can prepare you for what lies ahead.
The twists and turns, the ups and downs.
The amazing feelings, the warmth, immense joy,
tears, gratefulness, fear and all the other emotions
that are tied up in your role as a parent.
I guess it has been on my mind because my little ones
aren't so little anymore and
everyday I am reminded that Ethan is a young man now,
Cameron isn't far behind and my Madi girl,
well lets just say, I don't think she would have a problem being
my baby girl forever.
I think Cameron is at that tender age where he vacillates between being a man
and still wanting to be a boy.
He has faced his first year of Jr, High with such quiet strength.
Even when he was being bullied, he was so sad, so broken,
but he stayed true to who he is,
and wanted to handle the situation accordingly.
The memories of those moments still make my cry.
Then there is Ethan, with both feet in. Ready to step up and grow up.
He has been through it over the last few years...
emergency surgery, broken bones, a broken heart.
I can't protect them from certain things,
they are going to happen, I have no control, gulp.
But the view, this parenting roller coaster of a ride is so amazing.
As I watch E navigate his way through losing friends and first loves,
I see him take on each challenge with grace and
humility. It makes me weep.
Children are far more resilient then we give them credit for.
They have such capacity for forgiveness and love.
They crave guidance even when they are arguing with you
that they have the situation under control.
The gifts we give our children in our love, a foundation in God,
The lessons of His love, mercy and kindness,
are some of the most important things we can teach our children.
To forgive and turn the other cheek,
To let them know that no matter what,
their identity is secure in who they belong to
and who knows their hearts.
There isn't a day that goes by that I do not thank the Lord
for blessing me with these three wishes.
I can not imagine my life without them in it.
I am a better person because of them.
And I suppose that no matter their age, I will want to protect their hearts,
as God protects and moves their spirit.
As we move closer to Christmas day...That special day
when Jesus came to light our way,
I am so reminded of my children's births and how time has gone by
 so very quickly.
I want to breathe each precious day in, drink it up and
 remember every detail.
And know that no matter what happens,
we are on this roller coaster together, strapped in tight
and with God's love and guidance we
can face anything.
What are you thinking about this Christmas season?
 
Have a wonderful weekend friends.
xo
Janine
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...